How to Apply to the College
- The applicant's past and present conduct affords reasonable grounds for belief that the applicant is mentally competent to practice physiotherapy, that they will practice physiotherapy with decency, integrity and honesty and in accordance with the law and can communicate effectively with and will display an appropriate attitude towards patients and colleagues.
- The applicant must have Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status, or authorization under the Immigration Act (Canada). (Not applicable to Courtesy)
- The applicant must be able to speak and write English or French fluently. (Not applicable to Courtesy)
To apply to the College you must apply using the category specific form and submit the additional documentation and fees.
Overview of Fees
Certificate of Registration - Provisional Practice—$75
Certificate of Registration - Independent Practice—$595
Certificate of Registration - Courtesy—$100
- Letter of Professional Standing—$50
- Wall Certificate—$25
- Returned or Declined Cheque—$50
The College will attempt to process your application for registration within ten business days of receiving the completed application form and all required documentation.
If there is doubt whether your application meets all of the registration requirements, it will be referred to the Registration Committee for review. You will be contacted by College staff with more information if your application is referred to the Registration Committee. Longer timelines will apply under these circumstances.
Confirmation of Registration
An email will be sent to you to confirm your registration once your application has been processed.
Applicants who submit incomplete applications will be notified by email. A list of missing documentation will be provided. You are welcome to submit your documents as they become available; however, applications will not be processed until they are complete. The processing time for applications will not begin until the completed application, all additional documentation and fees have been received.
The College has moved to electronic maintenance and storage of registrant files. Electronic copies of registrant applications and documents will be stored indefinitely. When you submit your application to the College, if there are any hard copy documents that you would like us to return to you, please let us know.
Moving from Another Province?
The College is compliant with the Canadian labour mobility rules under the Agreement on Internal Trade and the Ontario Labour Mobility Act (OLMA).
The College of Physiotherapists of Ontario is committed to the principles of labour mobility and the movement of registered physiotherapists/physical therapists across Canadian jurisdictions as articulated in the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) 2009 (Chapter 7).
A Brief History of the Agreement on Internal Trade
The Agreement on Internal Trade is an undertaking of the federal, provincial and territorial governments in Canada to eliminate labour mobility barriers between provinces and territories. The objective is to make it possible any worker qualified for an occupation in one part of Canada to have access to employment opportunities in that occupation in any other province or territory.
The Agreement on Internal Trade became law in Ontario with the introduction of the Ontario Labour Mobility Act (OLMA) in 2010.
Does the Agreement on Internal Trade Apply to Me?
The movement of physical therapist under the Agreement on Internal Trade is based on the similarities of categories of registration, otherwise known as permit on permit.
If you are a physiotherapist who is currently registered with a practice certificate/license in another Canadian jurisdiction, your application to register in Ontario will be considered under the rules of the labour mobility agreement as follows:
- Where the registration categories are similar, no new requirements will be expected with the exception of a review of previous discipline history and other administrative matters (e.g. fees, form, liability insurance).
- Where the categories of registration are not similar, the College’s existing registration requirements apply.
For more information about applying for registration in Ontario, please contact Registration at email@example.com.
*If you require materials in an alternate format, please contact Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-583-5885 ext. 234 or 416-591-3828 ext. 234.