Government-Funded (OHIP) Physiotherapy

If you have questions about Ontario Community Physiotherapy Clinics contact the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario Physiotherapy Information Advisor at 1-800-583-5885 extension 241 or email

The Ontario government funds physiotherapy care in certain situations in your home or at designated Community Physiotherapy Clinics.  

If you are 65 or older and require in-home physiotherapy (in your own home or in a retirement home), contact a Home and Community Care Support Services organization:

Am I eligible to receive physiotherapy care through a Community Physiotherapy Clinic (CPC)?

Community Physiotherapy Clinic programs cover physiotherapy for seniors, youth and some other patients at government-funded physiotherapy clinics to help patients recover from illness, surgery or injury.

You will need a referral from a doctor or nurse practitioner to access this physiotherapy at no cost.

Use this option when your doctor or nurse practitioner has referred you for physiotherapy after experiencing:

  • A recent illness, injury, accident or surgery that led to a decline in function or movement
  • A flare-up or worsening of symptoms from a previous fall, accident, surgery, or chronic condition that led to a decline in function or movement

With a valid health card you can receive government-funded physiotherapy if you are:

  • 65 years or older
  • 19 years or under
  • Any age after an overnight hospital stay (within the last 12 months) for a condition requiring physiotherapy
  • Receive Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program (any age and a health card is not required)

How Do I Find an Ontario Community Physiotherapy Clinic?

View a list of locations:

Find Ontario Community Physiotherapy Clinics

Learn more about this government program

Ontario Health811

You can also use Health811 to find physiotherapy services. This is a free, secure and confidential service that you can call or access online 24 hours a day, seven days a week to get health advice from a registered nurse or find health services or information.

Health811: Find a Service

Bundled Care

If you have recently had surgery for a total hip, knee or shoulder arthroplasty (hip, knee or shoulder replacement), your hospital will connect you with physiotherapy clinics that are participating with them in bundled care.

Bundled care is a provincial funding model that is designed to promote greater integration in health care delivery, drive high-quality, efficient care and improve patient outcomes and experience.

After your surgery, you will be able to access no cost physiotherapy through these providers that are bundled with your surgeon’s hospital.

Please reach out to your hospital’s Patient Care Coordinator or your surgeon’s office for more information about accessing no cost physiotherapy care following your knee or hip replacement.

Read more about Bundled Care 

If you are not eligible or cannot access Ontario Community Physiotherapy Clinics, there may be options for you to access publicly-funded physiotherapy care in other ways:

  1. Community Health Centres

    Some community health centres in Ontario provide physiotherapy services to people who meet their eligibility criteria.

    List of Community Health Centres

  2. Family Health Teams

    Some family health teams provide physiotherapy services to their patients, as well as to others in the community.

    List of Family Health Teams in Ontario

  3. Student-Run Clinics

    You may also be able to access physiotherapy care through a student-run clinic in your area. These clinics offer a variety of healthcare services, including physiotherapy. 

    Review the clinic locations to see if there is one in your area

  4. Arthritis Rehabilitation and Education Program (AREP) 

    The Arthritis Society's AREP provides a range of treatment and education services for adults and children with arthritis. Services are free, at no cost to you. Services are funded by the Ontario Government if you have an Ontario Health Card and a confirmed diagnosis of arthritis. 

    Arthritis Society

  5. Aboriginal Health Access Centres

    Aboriginal Health Access Centres (AHACs) are Aboriginal community-led, primary health care organizations. They provide a combination of traditional healing, primary care, cultural programs, health promotion programs, community development initiatives, and social support services to First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities. There are currently ten AHACs in Ontario, providing services both on and off-reserve, in urban, rural and northern locations.  Please contact the centre in your community to find out if they offer physiotherapy services.

    Aboriginal Health Access Centres