Registration Categories Overview
There are three categories of registration for practising physiotherapists. Follow the steps for an overview of each registration category, a description of the requirements to gain the
certificate, the terms, conditions and limitations of the certificate and the titles those certificate holders are eligible to use.
Links to application forms and information sheets are provided for each category.
Choose the Category for Which You Wish to Apply
Click on the + button to view more information
Independent Practice is the general registration category. Registrants holding this practice certificate may practice independently if they choose.
- The applicant must have a degree in physiotherapy/physical therapy
- The applicant must have successfully completed the Physiotherapy Competency Exam (PCE) or have been registered as a physiotherapist in a Canadian jurisdiction on December 30, 1993 or be currently registered with a full/unrestricted certification of registration/license in another Canadian jurisdiction
- The applicant must have practiced physiotherapy for 1200 hours in the previous five years, unless the applicant has completed the PCE in the previous five years
- If the applicant intends to provide patient care, he or she must hold professional liability insurance that meets the requirements laid out in the College By-laws
Terms, Conditions and Limitations
- Five years after the certificate is issued and every year after that at renewal, the registrant must have practiced for 1,200 hours in the previous five years or successfully completed the College Review Program (CRP) or PCE in the previous twelve months. Registrants who wish to complete the CRP or PCE must do so at their own expense.
- Registrants are required to successfully complete the Jurisprudence Education Program at the next available opportunity after initial registration or reinstatement of registration and every five years after.
Physiotherapist, Physical Therapist, PT, Physiothérapeute, Pht
- $595 Annual Registration Fee
- $100 Application Fee
There is a $100 application fee for anyone registering with the College for the first time in Provisional Practice, Independent Practice or Courtesy Registration. This $100 fee will also be added to anyone with a registration member returning to the college longer than 1 year of their resignation date.
For holders of a Current Provisional Practice Certificate or Provisional Practice with Restrictions Certificate. If you have passed the Physiotherapy Competency Exam or an equivalent and wish to use the title of physiotherapist or physical therapist in Ontario, you are required to hold an Independent Practice certificate.
Independent Practice Application Package
Independent Practice Application Package for Past Members (Form and Guide)
Application for Moving to Independent Practice from Provisional Practice
Courtesy Registration is a temporary registration certificate that allows registered/licensed physiotherapists from other jurisdictions to:
teach an educational course, or
participate in an education program, or
participate in research activities, or
participate in a specific event of limited duration.
- The applicant must have a degree in physiotherapy/physical therapy.
- The applicant is registered/licensed to practise physiotherapy/physical therapy in a jurisdiction outside Ontario.
- The applicant must be current in their practice and have a minimum of 1,200 practice hours within the previous five years.
- The event is less than 30 days long.
- The applicant must have professional liability insurance that meets the College guidelines.
Terms, Conditions and Limitations
The holder may practise physiotherapy only for the purpose that he or she has indicated as the reason for making the application for the courtesy certificate of registration.
The certificate expires 30 days after the date of initial registration, on the date on which the purpose is attained or when the member is no longer engaged in attaining that purpose, whichever is the earliest.
Title: Physiotherapist, Physical Therapist, PT, Physiothérapeute, Pht
Fees: $100 Application Fee
Please note: There is a $100 application fee for anyone registering with the College for the first time in Provisional Practice, Independent Practice or Courtesy Registration. This $100 fee will also be added to anyone with a registration member returning to the college longer than 1 year of their resignation date.
Courtesy Registration Form and Guide
Courtesy Registration Application Form and Guide
Please contact Registration at email@example.com for further information.
Applications for registration in the Independent Practice and Provisional Practice category
must include the Category-specific form and any additional documents required.
Rationale for Registration Requirements
The requirements for registration in Ontario are provided in the College’s General Regulation: Part III: Registration.
If you want to know more about the requirements to become registered to practice as a physiotherapist in Ontario and why each is necessary, read Rationale for Registration Requirements
For more information, contact: