Applicants, PT Students & PT Residents: How Practice Advice Can Help You

Find the answer to your question below or contact the Practice Advisors for free and anonymous advice.

You Can Ask the Practice Advisor about Anything

The Practice Advisors offer a safe place for applicants, PT Residents, students, physiotherapists and others to ask questions about physiotherapy practice.

Not sure what rule applies? Looking for something on the website and can't find it? Dealing with a tough ethical dilemma and need to talk it through? The Practice Advisors are here to help. 

Be sure to scroll down to see Practice Advice questions. On the left side, you can search by category or you can search by entering a specific term in the FAQs search bar.

In rare instances, the information presented may indicate that a person is at risk or fraudulent business practices are happening. In these cases, the advisor may share the information with others. The advisor will let you know that the information is being shared, why it is being shared, and any next steps.  

Call 647-484-8800 or 1-800-583-5885 ext. 241 or email

Ask the Practice Advisors

Practice Advice Question


I'm a PT Resident, and have heard that I need to roster with the College to perform controlled acts like internal pelvic assessments or administering oxygen. What are controlled acts, and what do I need to know before performing them?


Certain acts in Ontario are restricted by law and may only be performed by specified regulated health professions. Physiotherapists and PT Residents who perform any of these acts under their own authority must roster for each of these activities with the College. These acts include:

  • Tracheal suctioning 
  • Spinal manipulation 
  • Acupuncture (including dry needling)
  • Treating a wound below the dermis 
  • Pelvic internal exams (this includes putting an instrument, hand or finger, beyond the labia majora, or beyond the anal verge)
  • Administering a substance by inhalation 

A Physiotherapy Resident may roster for an authorized activity or controlled act that they have been trained to perform. During the training, the PT Resident must:

  • Learn the indications, contraindications, adverse outcomes, and risks associated with performing the controlled act.
  • Practice the controlled act under the supervision of a person who is authorized to perform it.
  • Be evaluated on the knowledge, judgement, and practical skills needed to perform the controlled act.
  • Show that they are able to safely and competently perform the controlled act.

In order to perform a controlled act with patients, the PT Resident's Practice Supervisor must also be rostered to perform the same activities.

For full details about what is required to roster for a controlled act, see our Controlled Acts and Restricted Activities standard.

Email the Practice Advisor

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All Close All