Funding for Therapy and Counselling for Sexual Abuse 

The College of Physiotherapists of Ontario maintains a program to provide funding for therapy and/or counselling for individuals who have been sexually abused by a physiotherapist. Individuals can submit an application for funding to the College. The Patient Relations Committee reviews all of the applications. The requirement for the College to have a fund is found in the Regulated Health Professions Act of Ontario (RHPA).

Who is Eligible?

A patient can apply for funding to help pay for counselling or therapy immediately after filing a complaint and confirming that they are proceeding with the complaints process. If the patient did not file the complaint themselves, they would be eligible for funding as soon as the complaint has been confirmed or an investigation has started.

A patient does not have to apply for funding right away they can think about it and apply at a later date.

File a Complaint

How Much Funding is Available?

The maximum funding available to each patient is established by the RHPA and is equivalent to the amount that the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) would pay for 200 half-hour sessions of individual out-patient psychotherapy with a psychiatrist not to exceed $16,060. This funding is accessible over a five-year period.

Funds are paid directly to the therapist or counsellor and are specifically for treatment required as a result of the sexual abuse and shall not be applied directly or indirectly for any other purpose.

If you require financial assistance to cover child care or travel arrangements while attending therapy / counselling, please contact the College for additional information.

Apply for Funding for Therapy and Counselling for Sexual Abuse 

Complete the Online Form

Download Funding for Therapy Forms

Funding Application Form

Therapist Information Form

Choice of Counsellor/Therapist

Patients are free to choose any therapist or counsellor to provide treatment as long as the therapist or counsellor is not a relative and has not been found guilty of sexual abuse themselves.

The patient does not have to see a psychiatrist. There are many different forms of therapy and/or counselling that could be beneficial for the patient and the patient gets to decides what would work best for them. Some providers are regulated and some are unregulated meaning that there is no regulatory body to go to if you have concerns. If you need help finding a provider please contact the College.

Patients can access the funds for more than one therapist or counsellor if they so choose.

How Do I Apply?

Patients can apply for funding by completing the online form or by downloading and submitting the Funding Application Form by email or mail. You will be asked to keep any information about your application confidential. Please forward the Therapist Information Form to your therapist or counsellor to complete and submit to the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario.

Completed applications should be mailed or emailed to:

Patient Relations Committee
College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
375 University Avenue, Suite 800
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2J5

Further Questions?

Please contact the Associate Registrar—Professional Conduct and Registration at 1-800-583-5885 or 416-591-3828 ext. 225, or by email at