Continuing Professional Development

This is a way for you to show that you’re still learning and growing.

What is Continuing Professional Development?

As professionals, you have an obligation to keep your knowledge and skills up to date.

PTs are required to:

  • Participate in continuing education and professional development each year, to the extent needed to maintain the knowledge, skills and judgment you need to practice
  • Keep a record of your continuing education and professional development activities for at least five years
  • Provide the record of your continuing education and professional development activities to the College upon request

The College does not have specific requirements for the amount and type of continuing education and professional development activities you do. It is up to you to identify your own learning needs.

On this page you will find a number of resources to help you identify learning goals, come up with a learning plan, and reflect on your learning.

Example of How to Track Your Continuing Professional Development 

Step 1

Decide how you're going to collect the information. It could be a binder, a folder or a Word file on your computer—whatever works best for you.

Identify learning goals.

Step 2

Document evidence of ongoing learning and improvement, for example, 

  • continuing education certificates
  • diplomas, degrees and awards
  • performance review outcomes
  • professional memberships
  • letters of reference
  • journal articles, posters or abstracts
  • professional contacts
  • critical appraisal of professional literatur records of student supervision
  • teaching and leadership activities
  • educational conferences

Step 3

Make note of critical incidents or treatment changes in your practice setting.

Step 4

In addition to self-assessment, include peer and/or patient feedback.

Step 5

Update the information annually, after an employer or role change and after a learning event such as a course or conference.

Questions About Continuing Professional Development?

For more information contact 
1-800-583-5885 ext. 233 or 416-591-3828 ext. 233