How to Make a Complaint

The relationship between a physiotherapist and a patient is based on trust. Patients expect physiotherapists to provide safe and ethical care. Abuse of that trust is never acceptable.


Complaints Process
Audio Clips

Cantonese 廣東話
Mandarin 普通话
Punjabi ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਦੇ

The College provides English and French services, but should you need information in another language, we will assist you. Email Communications or call 1-800-583-5885 ext. 234.

If you have a concern or complaint about the care you received from your physiotherapist, you have the right to submit a formal complaint to the College. If you are not sure if you want to file a formal complaint, contact the College:

In Toronto: 416-591-3828 ext. 227
Toll-free in Ontario: 1-800-583-5885 ext. 227

How to make a formal complaint

You can send your complaint to the College in writing or as a recording. You can make the complaint online or download a complaint form and send it by email, fax, or regular mail.

File your complaint online

Download and fill out a complaint form

Fax: 416-591-3834
Mailing address; 375 University Avenue, Suite 800, Toronto, ON M5G 2J5 

We will need:

  • the name of the physiotherapist (College staff can help if you do not have the exact name)

  • your name and contact information (daytime number, mailing address)

  • the patient’s name if it concerns someone other than yourself

  • as much detail as possible about your concern or the incident in question


After you have made a complaint, you will hear back from a College staff person within two business days.

If you have questions or concerns, please contact or call 416-591-3828 ext. 227 or 1-800-583-5885 ext. 227.

Addressing Complaints: Some Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who can file a complaint with the College?

  • What kinds of complaints can the College address?

  • Should I discuss the issue with my physiotherapist before making a complaint?

  • Can I complain to the College without giving my name?

  • Should I continue to be treated by a physiotherapist I have complained about?

  • Can I make a complaint about a clinic rather than a physiotherapist?

  • How long do I have to file a complaint?

  • How do I make a formal complaint?

  • What happens after I file my complaint?

  • Who makes a decision about the complaint?

  • What happens if I change my mind after I file a complaint?

  • How long does the complaints process take?

  • What kinds of decisions can the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee make?

  • What if I am not happy with the decision?

  • Can a complainant get legal advice?

  • What is a Peer/Expert Opinion?

Mandatory reporting

Ontario law requires all health care providers and facility operators, such as employers and clinic owners, to inform the College in a number of situations.

Learn more about mandatory reporting