Practice Advice & Frequently Asked Questions

Find the answer to your question below or contact the Practice Advisors for free and anonymous advice.

College of Physiotherapists of Ontario Practice Advisors

College Practice Advisors (from left to right): Fiona Campbell PT, Shari Hughes PT, Kelly Schmitt PT, and Kirsten Pavelich PT

Anyone can contact the College for confidential practice advice. The College has a team of physiotherapists ready to answer your call or email and you can ask about anything related to physiotherapy.

Not sure what rule applies? Ask the Practice Advisor. Looking for something on the website and can't find it? Dealing with a tough ethical dilemma and need to talk it through? Call 647-484-8800 or 1-800-583-5885 (extension 241) or email

Get in touch with the Practice Advisors

Practice Advice Question


When treating children/youths, what is the age of consent for physiotherapy treatment? 


The Health Care Consent Act does not specify a particular age that a patient must be to give or refuse consent to treatment. This means that children do not need to be at least 16 or 18 to provide their consent. This is in contrast to the requirement that a person must be at least 16 years old to act as a substitute decision maker for an incapable patient.

Likewise, there is no particular age at which a person loses the right to make their own health decisions.

What is important is whether the health practitioner is of the opinion that a patient, even if younger than 16 or more advanced in age, is mentally CAPABLE to provide the consent.